Canada has a welcoming immigration system that has plenty of options for couples to reunite as a family in the Land of Opportunity. Partner sponsorship is one of the many programs that lead to permanent residency for couples, though it falls under different types such as spousal, common-law sponsorship to the conjugal partnership.

The route can be tricky, which is why understanding the best sponsorship to take is crucial to ensure you fit the criteria. With that in mind, this article is focusing on common-law partnership and what it means for you and your partner. 

What is a Common-Law Partnership? 

Under Canada’s immigration context, a common-law partnership refers to a couple that is not yet married but has proof of living together with a marriage-like set-up for at least one year. This type of partnership requires proof of existence by showing documents that verify their cohabitation in their conjugal relationship. 

To be considered a common-law partner, you need to fall under the following categories: 

  • The common-law partnership means you are not married to the person who is being sponsored;
  • Both partners must be at least 18-years-old or older; 
  • The common-law couple must have proof of cohabitation that show you have been living together for a full year; 
  • The common-law couple should have a marriage-like relationship, which includes sharing the bills, etc. 

When applying for common-law sponsorship, keep in mind that the applicant should prove their cohabitation for at least one year before the CPC-M recognizes their application. What makes it slightly more complicated compared to a spousal relationship is that a common-law partnership is a case-to-case basis, while married couples are legally accepted and established in law. 

What is the Proof for Common-Law Partnership?

As mentioned above, you need proof of cohabitation for you to be eligible for Canada’s partner sponsorship. With that in mind, some of the requirements you need include the following:

  • Statutory declaration of a common-law partnership; 
  • Bank statements showing a shared account between the couple; 
  • Shared credit card statements; 
  • Proof of shared ownership of the residential property;
  • Proof of a shared residential lease;
  • Shared rental receipts; 
  • Bills that prove shared payments for the rental’s utility like electricity; 
  • Receipts that prove household expenses are shared; 
  • Proof of shared purchase; 
  • Proof that the couple share the same address, such as official documents like driver’s license or insurance policies;
  • Any other documents that show cohabitation;

Keep in mind that when sending proof of documents, only original records like marriage certificates, passports, driver’s licenses, and more are given back to you. Photos, telephone bills, letters, and other photocopies will not be given back to you. 

The Bottom Line: Understanding Common-Law Partner in Canada Class for Immigration 

When sponsoring a common-law partner, do note that they are obligated to provide financial support to their sponsored spouse as soon as the undertaking takes effect. The length of the undertaking is generally three years from the day the sponsored partner moves up to becoming a permanent resident in Canada. 

If you’re looking for professional help from a trusted firm in Canada, please contact us at or call 1-888-404-8472.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *