One of the ways to immigrate to Canada is by child immigration sponsorship. The law allows foreign-born children of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to join their parents and build a home in Canada. Children who successfully undergo sponsorship will get permanent residence in the country. This means they can live in Canada, go to school, and access social services. 

When they reach the age of majority, they can also apply for work in the country. Permanent residency allows sponsored children to not only stay in the country indefinitely but also work towards full Canadian citizenship. Here are some things to keep in mind about how to sponsor a child for permanent residence.

1. There are requirements for the sponsor

When applying for sponsorship of a foreign-born child, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident will make an application to be a sponsor. When this is approved, the immigration officers will process the child’s application and determine their eligibility for residence. 

A sponsor must be at least 18 years old, currently living in Canada, and is willing to sign a ten-year undertaking. This document stipulates that for a decade, the sponsor agrees to be financially and socially responsible for the minor when they arrive in the country. 

Canadian citizens who reside abroad can sponsor a child, provided that they are able to demonstrate proof that they will return to the country once the sponsored minor is granted residence.

2. The sponsor must be capable of giving support

The government does not require an income threshold for sponsors. However, this doesn’t mean that just anybody can apply to be a sponsor to a foreign-born child. Officers will assess whether a Canadian resident has an income or assets that can support the needs of the child when they arrive in the country. 

As such, an immigrant to Canada who wants to bring their child to the country must show that they have a sufficient monthly income to provide for themself and their child. Proof otherwise will be grounds for refusal. 

A person under the age of 22 who is unmarried and not in a common-law relationship can be considered a dependent of a sponsor who lives in Canada. They can be biological or adopted by the sponsor. Immigration services can advise you in case the child to be sponsored has more unique circumstances.

4. Different laws might apply to children of citizens

Not all foreign-born children are required to go through this route. According to the Citizenship Act of 2009, if a child is born overseas to Canadian parents, they will automatically be considered Canadian citizens if their parents were not born abroad themselves. If a child is born outside Canada, they need only to be registered as a Canadian citizen in order to be recognized. This may be processed in applicable institutions inside and outside the country.

5. Adopted children undergo additional procedures

Children adopted outside Canada, or those who will be adopted once they arrive, have additional requirements they must meet. For one, their adoption must conform to laws in both Canada and their birth country. Authorities must assess the relationship between sponsor and child and confirm the legitimacy of a child-parent relationship.

If they think that it is in the child’s best interests that they remain in their home country, they might reject the sponsorship application. Furthermore, there must be genuine consent from the child’s biological parents.

6. Other cases of adoption

In the case of orphaned minors, they can be sponsored by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident provided that they are unmarried. The orphan should also be the sibling, nephew, niece, or grandchild of the sponsor. 

If a sponsor doesn’t have a spouse, common-law partner, child, parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew in Canada, and they have no relative abroad who can sponsor under other categories, they can sponsor their relative no matter what the age.

Canadian Visa Application
Immigration to Canada


Bringing a foreign-born child to Canada requires a sponsor to be financially and psycho-socially equipped to support at least two lives. Learning the intricacies of sponsorship from immigration consultants in Canada will help you decide whether you have everything secured or need more help.

If you’re looking for professional help for Canada immigration services in Toronto, please contact us at or call 1-888-404-8472.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *