Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident who wishes to bring your foreign parents to the country? Fortunately, you can apply for a sponsorship to bring your parents and/or grandparents to Canada. 

When the application is approved, parents and grandparents will get permanent resident status, which will allow them to live in Canada for as long as they want. They can also work or study in the country if they want to, and they will be given access to social services. 

The application is a two-step process, in which the sponsor will have to apply first and get approved. Once approved, it is the parents’ or grandparents’ turn to apply for permanent residence. 

Sponsor Requirements: 

  • Income – the sponsor must have proof of income, which must be at least 30 percent above the Low Income Cut-Off level (LICO). It is based on the total family size, including the sponsor, immediate dependents, and family members being sponsored, including any dependents they may have. Additionally, the sponsor must be able to show that they have met the minimum necessary income requirement for the past three years.
  • 20-Year Sponsorship – the sponsor must agree to be financially responsible for the parent or grandparent for the next 20 years. 
  • Notice of Assessment (s) – sponsors may use their income tax returns as documentary evidence.

What Happens When the Sponsor Is Approved

Once the Canadian sponsor is approved, the parental sponsorship application will be processed, which will take one year. When the application is approved, the foreign parents will be given permanent resident visas. 

What Happens When the Application is Rejected

When the sponsor application is rejected, it could be for two reasons—the sponsor does not have sufficient income, or the applicant is inadmissible to the country due to misrepresentation, criminal records, or health concerns. 

The sponsor can file an appeal within 30 days to the Immigration Appeal Division (IAD) of the Immigration and Refugee Board. 

Super Visa

A Super Visa allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to visit the country for up to two years at a time. Typically, this will be a 10-year multi-entry visa. 

To qualify for a SuperVisa, the child or grandchild who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident must prove that he or she has sufficient income to support the visit, while the visiting parents or grandparents must purchase private medical insurance prior to their arrival.

Canadian Visa Application


Bringing your parents or grandparents to live with you in Canada may be quite tedious, as it will take a lot of work and time. That’s why most sponsors often seek the help of an immigration agency to help them out through the process. 

Fortunately, you will find many immigration agencies that can help you sponsor your parents and grandparents. With an immigration consultant, you can leave the difficult tasks to them, and all you’ll need to do is gather the necessary paperwork and answer some essential questions. 

If you’re looking for professional help from a Canada immigration agency in Toronto, contact us at or call 1-888-404-8472.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *