Thanks to a Canadian passport’s privileges, many Canadian citizens choose to live abroad for a specific time. Whether it’s to pursue further studies, take on a new role, or simply enjoy refreshing scenery, they enjoy the unique experiences that other countries have to offer. Sometimes, they meet a special person they choose to marry and want to bring back to Canada. At the time of their decision, they may even have children with their new spouse that they would like to take home with them.

Fortunately, Canada has many immigration options for those who want to start a new life in the country. Knowing the options available to them is essential for finding the best immigration route possible. Here’s what you need to know about moving to Canada with your Canadian spouse:

Applying for Sponsorship

Undergoing a spousal sponsorship application in Canada is a relatively simple process. The most common sponsorship pathway for aspiring immigrants is by applying for sponsorship before arriving in Canada. In this scenario, you’ll apply for Canadian permanent residence (PR) and then wait for the Canadian government to approve the application. It usually takes six to twelve months before they grant you permanent residence status. 

Once you are accepted, you have two options: you can move to Canada immediately or visit the country to receive your PR and then permanently move in a few months. After you’ve lived in the country for a few years, you can then apply for Canadian citizenship.

You can also apply for a visitor visa if you apply for sponsorship after arriving in the country with your spouse. Your spouse must apply to sponsor your PR in Canada once you arrive. However, if you choose this option, you must apply for a work permit while your application is pending. That way, you have access to career opportunities and public health care while waiting for the result of your PR application.

Spousal Visa Requirements

Immigration experts recommend familiarizing yourself with the requirements of a spousal visa before arriving in the country. That way, the process is smoother and more seamless. If you are your spouse’s common-law partner, then they are eligible to live with you and work in the country. To qualify as a common-law partner, you must be a singular person who has been living with you in a conjugal relationship for at least a year. 

Applying for a spousal visa will require you and your partner to demonstrate that you have lived together, which means a shared rent contract, bank account, and other factors. You must both fulfill the minimum funds required to support yourselves, and the applicant must have a valid passport and be admissible to Canada. Once you satisfy these requirements, you can apply for a spousal visa or travel permit, valid for six months. 

Bringing Your Children to Canada

If you have children with you that you’d like to bring to Canada, you must add them as a “dependent” on your application. Applying through separate applications will incur double the costs while allowing the chance for one application to be approved while the other is rejected. If you apply as a couple, you also have more opportunities to make your application more attractive by pooling your resources and assets. 

Family Sponsorship
Spousal Sponsorship


Canada is one of the most welcoming countries globally, making it an incredibly popular destination for ex-pats. There are many options for you to establish a new life in the country, whether you’re married to a Canadian citizen or the foreign-born child of Canadian permanent residents. Be sure to consult Toronto immigration services to find the best path for your situation.

If you’re looking for professional help from a trusted firm, please contact us at or call 1-888-404-8472.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *