When you live alone in another country, you can’t help but feel homesick and lonely sometimes. Some people cope with this loneliness in different ways, while some will try to bring their family to where they are. 

In Canada, citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their spouses, children, parents, grandparents, or common-law partners to immigrate to Canada. To do this, you can work with a reliable immigration consultant to guide you through the whole process from application to the day your sponsored relative arrives in the country. 

A common misconception is that citizens and permanent residents can only sponsor immediate family members. However, this is false because it is also possible to sponsor an extended family member to immigrate. 

If you’re considering immigrating to Canada, stick around. We’ll give you more information about this topic so you won’t have to feel lonely and homesick in Canada again!

The Lonely Canadian Program

The Canadian government started a program called “Lonely Canadian Program” or the “Other Relative Program,” allowing Canadian Citizens or a permanent resident to sponsor an adult son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, or niece to immigrate to Canada. 

If the extended family member you are sponsoring is married or has children, they, too, can sponsor their immediate family with them to immigrate to Canada. However, the person being sponsored must be related to the sponsor by blood. 

To sponsor a relative, you must ensure that you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, child, parent, or grandparent who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Besides that, you need to make sure you aren’t also with someone who is a foreigner that can be sponsored. 

This program was made in favour of those people who do not have any relations in Canada and cannot sponsor immediate family members. But you should remember that standard immigration rules apply, and you will need to enter into an undertaking with the Canadian government before sponsoring a relative, pledging to be financially stable for when your relative arrives until 10 years after they resettle. 

Sponsoring a Parent

When you want to immigrate an extended family member but have a living parent or grandparent with you, it may be quite confusing. Some may say that you can’t sponsor an extended family member, while others say it’s possible. 

After discussions on the matter, the Federal Court in Bousaleh v. Canada stated that if the Canadian sponsor doesn’t meet the requirements of sponsoring a parent or grandparent, they can sponsor their extended family member. But if the foreign parent or grandparent doesn’t meet the criteria for immigration, the Canadian cannot sponsor a different relative. 

Due to the confusion and unsatisfactory approach, many opt to work with experienced immigration consultants to ensure that they meet all the requirements and go through the process without any stress and confusion. If you want a hassle-free approach in dealing with sponsorship, it’s best to work with a consultant regarding this. 

What You Need to Know About Sponsoring Extended Family Members

In some cases, several Canadians have sponsored distant relatives that they don’t know very well or have unrealistic expectations of their relationship with their extended relative, making it unclear how they’ll proceed. 

If you’re planning to sponsor a relative soon, you must remain financially liable when your relatives immigrate and even when they deteriorate. Because of this, you must discuss your concerns and expectations with your relative before you go ahead and sponsor them. 

Family Sponsorship
Family sponsorship


Thanks to the Lonely Canadian program, many Canadians and permanent residents have brought their relatives home with them, making them feel less lonely and more at home. If you’re thinking of sponsoring an immediate or extended family member, remember the information we stated above and work with a reliable immigration consultant from Bright Immigration. This way, you’ll have a smooth sponsorship process, and you’ll have your relative with you in no time!

If you’re looking for professional help from a trusted firm, please contact us at info@brightimmigration.com or call 1-888-404-8472.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *