Many individuals want to immigrate to Canada for a handful of reasons, such as for its solid economy, career opportunities, and security, among others. What’s good about the Canadian government is that they allow citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their partners and other individuals provided that they submit an application and meet the criteria.

Typically, qualified sponsors can cover their spouses, common-law partners, or conjugal partners. Spouses are those considered to be legally married. While conjugal partners are committed in a relationship for at least a year (but not living together), common-law partners are engaged in a relationship (but living together for at least a year).

For the most part, many Canadians and permanent residents consider sponsoring their partners, so their partners can immigrate to Canada and live there permanently. However, some common-law couples tend to make a few mistakes when sponsoring their partners. In this article, we will share with you three of them:

1. Not living together for a full year

As defined above, a common-law relationship is considered when an unmarried couple has been living together for a year. To emphasize, the relationship term should be “one year” as a major requirement. Not only should a couple live together for a year, but they should be financially, socially, emotionally, and physically codependent.

Unfortunately, some couples are in a hurry that they fail to consider this primary criterion. If not, the couple may have been together for a year but fail to provide valid documentation as proof.

2. Applying for the wrong category

As mentioned above, a common-law couple is different from a conjugal couple. The difference lies in the fact the first couple is living together while the latter is not (although both are in a relationship).

The problem is that some couples make the mistake of applying under the conjugal partner category, instead of the common-law category. For this reason, it’s best to have an immigration consultant to assist you and your partner in the application process.

3. Submitting outdated forms and incorrect or incomplete documents

It’s important to know that the Canadian government is rigorous and stringent in the application processes. As required forms tend to be updated several times in a year, you must fill out the updated forms. Make sure to answer the forms correctly and leave no blank spaces whenever applicable so that you’ll have a higher chance of approval.

Furthermore, when submitting supporting documents, you have to ensure they are correct, adequate, and complete. Typically, supporting documents are registers of personal interaction between the couple, such as photos, greeting cards, receipts of money, emails, letters, and phone records, among others.

Immigration consultants advise those travelling to Canada for Compassionate Travel purposes not to fear the process.
Immigrate to Canada


Before you take the plunge into applying for common-law partner sponsorship, be wary of some mistakes mentioned above. Make sure you and your partner have been living together for a full year, apply under the common-law partner category, submit the right forms, and provide correct or completed supporting documents.

If you’re looking for immigration consultants in Toronto to help you with your sponsorship of your common-law partner, we provide professional help from a trusted firm please contact us at or call 1-888-404-8472.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *