There are plenty of opportunities to take when you want to reunite with your partner and sponsor them to live with you permanently in Canada. Before we dive into the different types of sponsorship available, it’s important to know whether you are eligible to sponsor in the first place. 

With that in mind, what are the eligibility criteria to sponsor your partner living outside of Canada?

  • You need to be at least 18-years-old; 
  • You need to either be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act; 
  • You need to live in Canada with the sponsored partner once he/she becomes obtains a permanent resident status; 
  • You should not have social assistance for any other reason other than a permanent disability; 
  • You need to have the financial capability to provide for the basic needs of your sponsor for at least three years, which involve paying for food, clothing, shelter, and healthcare, 
  • You and your sponsored partner needs to sign an agreement that both of you understand your mutual obligations as partners living in Canada; 

If you are eligible to sponsor, then you can move forward with the process in three ways depending on your type of relationship: spouse, common-law partner, and conjugal partner. 

Definitions and Documents Needed in Sponsoring Your Spouse

Going this route means you are legally married to your partner, be it they’re the opposite or same gender. To sponsor your husband or wife, you will need the following documents: 

  • A valid marriage certificate
  • Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation questionnaire
  • Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking
  • Generic Application Form 
  • Photos of the wedding and invitations
  • Proof of relationship between partners such as text messages, letters, social media conversations, photos which are taken at different times and places
  •  Photocopy of sponsor’s PR card or citizenship card/certificate or Indian status card (certificate of Indian status)
  •  Passports and/or travel documents
  •  Police certificates and clearances
  • Proof of joint ownership of property, or utility bills, or car insurance, or tax forms

Definitions and Documents Needed in Sponsoring Your Common-Law Partner

If you are not legally married but have been living together in a marital-like relationship for at least 12 consecutive months, this kind of relationship is considered a common-law partnership. In this setting, you will need the following documents when applying for Canada’s sponsorship program:

  • Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union
  • Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking
  • Generic Application Form
  • A copy of the sponsor’s PR card, citizenship card, or Indian status card
  • Proof of relationships such as text messages, letters, social media chats, photos, and more
  • Proof of living together and shared bills
  • Police certificates and clearances

Definitions and Documents Needed in Sponsoring Your Conjugal Partner

If you and your partner cannot live together due to religious or sexual orientation restrictions, then this is considered a conjugal relationship. Canada is open to all types of relationships, so long as you can meet the following requirements: 

  • Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking
  • Generic Application Form
  • Police certificates and clearances
  • Evidence of the authenticity of your relationship 
  • Proof that you have been together for at least a full year

The Bottom Line: Sponsoring Your Partner in Canada

Long-distance relationships are challenging, but partners often strive to reunite someday and build a future together. If you’re planning to sponsor your foreign partner to Canada and start a life with no distance getting in the way of your relationship, Canada’s welcoming immigration system offers plenty of opportunities to reconnect permanently. 

How Can Bright Immigration Help You?

The immigration process can be daunting for most people, particularly since meeting eligibility requirements and delivering accurate documents are time-consuming on top of being stressful. 

Rushing the process and skipping research increases your risk of getting rejected visas; that’s why working with an immigration company can simplify your immigration experience as they can guide you every step of the way. 

If you’re looking for some professional help from a trusted firm, please contact us at or call 1-888-404-8472. We are fully committed to delivering quality legal and immigration services so you can reach your dreams of moving to Canada as smoothly as possible.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *