If you have a spouse who wants to immigrate to Canada, the answer is simple. It is possible. The process only differs depending on where the spouse is currently living. This article will discuss the two types of Spousal Sponsorship Application available: the In-Canada and the Outside-Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application. If you want to understand how the two differ, this article is for you. 

In-Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application

The In-Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application is for applicants currently residing with their spouses in Canada during their application process. The spouse should, of course, be a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident Sponsor living and staying in Canada. This process is also known as the In-Canada Class Application and could take around 12 months of processing time.  

Why Is It Better?

  • Applicants currently staying in Canada would need to acquire a work permit to stay in the country. Fortunately, the sponsorship application can allow them to find work in the country, as long as it is under a Canadian employer. The work permit is usually processed in three to four months.
  • Once you secure your valid work permit, you can apply for provincial healthcare insurance. Note that the healthcare insurance and every province’s requirement can only be obtained when your work permit is good for at least 90 days. 
  • While waiting for the feedback on the application, the person can stay in the country until the application for permanent residence is approved. However, the In-Canada Spousal Sponsorship program does not guarantee temporary residence status in the province. As previously mentioned, the applicant should still need to acquire a permit to work, visit, and study in the country to achieve that. 

The Downside

If the application gets rejected by the Immigration office, the applicant living in Canada has no right to appeal the decision. If their application gets approved, they will not have much flexibility to travel outside the country for an extended period. 

Outside Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application

For those living in a different country from their Canadian spouse hoping for spousal sponsorship, you should undergo the Family class application. Since the applicant is not living with the spouse in Canada during the application, they do not have to apply for a work permit. All they need is to wait.

Once their application gets approved, they have the option to travel outside Canada for long periods. Should their application be rejected, they would have the right to appeal the decision. 

Can People Living in Canada Apply for the Family Class Spousal Sponsorship Application?

There are instances wherein people living and staying in Canada with their spouses apply for the family class spousal sponsorship for the perks mentioned above. It is possible to appeal if their application gets rejected. They may also travel outside the country for longer than what is allowed. If you want to learn more about this option, talk to your trusted immigration expert for advice. 


Immigrating to Canada is much more manageable if you have a spouse to sponsor your application. People think it is the best way to immigrate to Canada. Still, the process takes long, and there is no guarantee that the application will be accepted or not. Just make sure you refer to the instructions, understand all requirements, follow all steps, provide all necessary documents, and let your immigration expert do the best they can to assist you. 

If you’re looking for professional help from a trusted firm, please contact us at info@brightimmigration.com or call 1-888-404-8472.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *